Monday, November 21, 2011

Last day of class

The very last day of class we visited the Chicago History Museum. Now I must say this was probably the coolest museum we visited. Many of you may not agree, but, hey, it was awesome. I really enjoyed the Facing Freedom exhibit. This exhibit showed us the importance of freedom. The exhibit used images, artifacts, and an interactive section to express many different stories of those who were denied rights from the United States’ past. The exhibit did an amazing job at illustrating the ways in which one can defend their rights – protest, organize, fight, and so many other ways. The next exhibit that I visited was the Chicago: Crossroad of America. This exhibit was amazing and highlighted Chicago’s major historical events, like Chicago’s culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods, innovations, economy, and other events.  A really neat addition to this particular exhibition was the movie called Sweet Home Chicago, which allowed the audience to get an idea of all the diverse neighborhoods of Chicago. Next, I visited probably my favorite part of the museum which was the Sensing Chicago exhibit. Even though all of us are considered to be adults, I do believe that those who got the chance to visit this specific exhibit really enjoyed it. It was truly unique because it gave visitors the chance to experience Chicago using most of our senses – touch, smell, hearing, sight. It was really fun and I believe that the museum was a great way to end the class.
I never realized how unique and truly incredible Chicago is. I’m glad I got a chance to be enrolled in this class and attending all of the class days because I really did learn a lot about the city. I definitely will be visiting Chicago a lot more now because it is really a place with rich history and it is fascinating to see how Chicago has changed over the last 20 years - physical, economically, socially, and politically. It has become a global center and I’m sure it will be exciting to see where Chicago will be 20 years from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment